It is fitting that Velma Schroedel, who with her husband Pastor Otto Schroedel founded Woods Hall, chose weaving as the first craft to promote in order to help the island support itself during winter.
Madeline Island has always had an “interwoven community”. During the more than fifty years Woods Hall has been in existence, the support of the whole community has been unmistakable. Even those who have not wished to be Woods Hall artisans have been eager to help in other ways; for example, when so many islanders pitched in during building construction and repairs.
Making purchases at the shop is a favorite way for islanders and island-lovers to support Woods Hall. But many community members want to help with a financial donation or with a gift of time, and to be a part of the camaraderie and the fun. Because one of Woods Hall’s purposes is to “nurture community relationships on Madeline Island”, this help has always been welcomed.
A few years ago the Woods Hall Board organized these supporters officially as Friends of Woods Hall.
In addition to the camaraderie and fun, Friends of Woods Hall share in these perks: Island gatherings at the homes of Friends—Friends always invite new people, so these gatherings help attract new Friends. A yearly thank-you event—acknowledges the efforts of Friends. A newsletter—keeps Friends informed of what’s happening at Woods Hall.
Friends of Woods Hall are invited to volunteer in these ways:
- Serve in the store as a cashier or on the floor as a salesperson or docent.
- Edit or write for our newsletter.
- Assist in the production and mailing of the newsletter or other mailings.
- Represent and promote Woods Hall in your home community and on the island.
- Participate in the planning and execution of our capital campaign for building improvements.
- Join one of our seasonal clean-up groups (January and May).
- Host one of our seasonal parties.
- Host one of the Wednesday night Art Crawls at the shop from mid-June through September.
- Support other special efforts of Woods Hall.
We hope you will consider becoming a Friend of Woods Hall!